Friday, October 4, 2019

So about this abscense...

Hi there

You might have noticed that I have not posted a review for over a month or so, actually been completely quite for that time as well. I feel like I need to explain myself here to why this is.

So ever since 2019 rolled in to our lives, my urge for writing these reviews have been iffy at best. No, I am not losing interest in metal in general, I just felt that I was stuck in a rut with these reviews, stating the same opinions, writing the same sentences and phrases, and getting stuck way more often than I would like to admit. Simply put, piecing together these reviews was more like work than a simple hobby. I was hoping this was just normal writers block, that some sort of ketchup effect would happen eventually, except it never did, not even during the summer (which is the time of the year that gives me the most opportunity to listen to music). I finally reached a point where I just said to myself "take a break, just enjoy whatever is coming out during this time, and re-evaluate your situation later".

While I have not really reached a conclusion of the future of this blog and my opinion stating yet, it feels more and more likely that Forsaken At The Gates is nearing its end. I am actually considering a move to other platforms, such as YouTube and Twitch, but those ideas are still in the planning state, and might not even happen at all.

This is what is going to happen though. I will release my usual top 20 albums and top 50 songs of the year at the end of this year, but do not expect any new normal sized reviews coming out until then. Maybe a bunch of "Rapid Fire Reviews" might arrive, but no promises are made. I am also considering making a massive "Best of the 10's" list of both albums and songs, which I think would be a nice send off to this blog, which by the way will celebrate its 7th birthday this Sunday.

So while we wait for that, here are some quick thoughts on recent big releases that I have listened to.

HammerFall - Dominion
Solid as usual, my childhood heroes rarely disappoints. 7/10

Tool - Fear Inoculum
Despite 13 years of abscense, Tool is as mysterious and magnificent as ever. 9/10

Sonata Arctica - Talviyö
Boring. 5,5/10

DragonForce - Extreme Power Metal
Ridiculuos, but fun as hell. That Celine Dion cover is glorious! 7/10

Opeth - In Cauda Venenum
Rivaling "Pale Communion" as the best late Opeth record. 9 /10

A big thanks to all of you who have visited the blog, whether it be once or more, and seen what I had to say. If nothing else, see you at the end of the year.

Robert "Sharkruisher" Andersson

No comments:

Post a Comment