Thursday, January 31, 2019

Evergrey - The Atlantic (2019)

Last year Amorphis did the impossible, they managed to convert me from a guy who enjoyed the band, to a guy who love the band. "Queen of Time" was incredibly persuasive, sneaking its way into my heart and the number one spot on my "end of the year" list. Going into 2019, I thought for myself if there were any other bands who would be able to accomplish this tough, but not impossible feat. Looking into the list of upcoming albums, it did not take long for me to find Evergrey as a possible candidate, a band that is incredibly skilled at what they do and have a history of making excellent albums, but still have yet to fully convince me of their greatness. Let us see if "The Atlantic", their 11th full length effort, can do it.

The real reason to why I have never truly loved Evergrey is that they have missed that knockout punch, that fatal hit that leaves me breathless. There is no question about this band's ability, and "The Atlantic" is just another proving point, with its smooth, emotional sound that leaves few hearts untouched, and also some heavier spots to hit the nerve a little harder. They are consistent as hell, having a floor most bands would die for, but their ceiling is honestly not that much higher, and while there are some great progressive elements to their music, I do find it hard to find much difference from song to song.

There is one thing I have always loved with the band though, and that is the singer Tom Englund, who has a brilliant knack of punctuating the emotions with his silky smooth voice. He bring a level of excellence to each Evergrey record that is reason enough to check out the band, and he does another stellar job here in "The Atlantic". That man must have a diet consisting of only honey, it is the only thing explaining his vocals.

Besides Tom, I think the most shining part about "The Atlantic" is how heavy it is compared to a normal Evergrey record. The riffs are a little tougher, the drums hits a little harder, and the whole album in general is a little darker in its tone, but it still has that distinct Evergrey lightness to it. Tracks like "A Secret Atlantis" and "This Ocean" are kind of strange listening to knowing which band is playing, but they still work so well because of the fantastic writing, never truly feeling like a confusing oddball. Be sure though that those classic epic Evergrey moments are in here, scattered around in almost every track, making "The Atlantic" easily recognizable as another Evergrey effort.

I got to say that I am impressed, Evergrey turned out another solid as hell record that is filled with quality. However, it did not make me a lover of the band. While I do think this is the band's strongest effort in at least a decade, it still does not feel like a complete record for me. It is one that is highly enjoyable, but then suddenly ends, forcing you to think of what you just listened, which leads to another go round with the record just to remind yourself. Do not get me wrong, "The Atlantic" is a killer record, but it has the same tendencies as previous Evergrey efforts, which probably means that my memories of it in the future will be good, but kind of hazy. It is a valiant effort that fans of the band should be extremely ecstatic about, but the minds of most of the doubters will not be changed, at least not this time.

Songs worthy of recognition: End of Silence, A Silent Arc, Weightless, A Secret Atlantis

Rating: 8/10 Currents

www.evergrey.net/
twitter.com/evergreyswe

No comments:

Post a Comment