Friday, March 8, 2013

Saxon - Sacrifice (2013)

You would think that after almost forty years and twenty full-length album that a band like Saxon would know what they are doing... and they do. After Motörhead, I feel that Saxon is the most stable British metal act that still is active today. I have at least not found a single bad album in Saxon's discography yet (have not checked through the whole discography, will do that some day) and their last offering, "Call To Arms", was a surprisingly heavy and strong assault that really got me into the band. So naturally, I expected no less from "Sacrifice".

As always, there is very little that separates Saxons albums apart from each other but I feel that "Sacrifice" has a little hint European power metal in it which is a nice clean touch and it does not take away too much of the band's original sound. But something that surprised me was the big variation in the lyrics. We have songs about bravery and fighting spirit ("Stand Up And Fight"),the tragic fate of Titanic ("Made In Belfast"), the thrill and excitement in racing ("Warriors of The Road") and, I cannot believe I am saying this, a song about standing and waiting in a line ("Standing In A Queue"). How the hell would anyone write a song about one of the most boring things you can do in your life? And I know what you are thinking, is the music in "Standing In A Queue" at least decent? I wish I could answer anything else but no but I cannot lie to you readers, the song is as boring as... well, standing in a queue. The only up side of that song is the guitar part that felt relatively fresh.

But besides of  that unnecessary closure song I would say that the rest of "Sacrifice" is holding a good standard. Some of my favourites are the fast and highly intoxicating "Warriors of The Road", the mystical and epic "Guardians of The Tomb" and the heavy and rifftastic title track. Then add the fact that the band is as good on their instruments as they always have been and we get a really enjoyable bunch of tracks. Even the iconic singer Biff Byford has a voice that is making him ten years younger. It is definitely good to see that these old men still has the mind and strength of young boys that is ready to take over the world.

One downside with "Sacrifice" is that it initially seems like a strong and fast album that could be a future classic. But after a couple of listening session I loose that feeling and the empty space fills in with a sense of that the band is just going on routine and do not care to work on the songs out to full extent.

So yeah, the durability is a big issue for "Sacrifice" but it is still a worthy listen for all of you who enjoys classic British heavy metal and for those of you that are more laid towards the European power metal scene, I would suggest that you gave "Sacrifice" a slow but steady try. This album may lack a long lasting punch but it still stands as a proof that Saxon is still going strong even after reaching that magical 20th album mark. Continue the good work lads.

Songs worthy of recognition: Guardians of The Tomb, Warriors of The Road, Sacrifice

Rating: 7/10 Wheels of Terror

No comments:

Post a Comment