Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Thoughts from a metal mind: Guns N' Roses reunion

So it was finally confirmed, after months of rumors and speculations, it was finally confirmed that Axl Rose, Saul "Slash" Hudson and Duff McKagan would reunite to once again form Guns N' Roses. A huge happening that should make me extremely excited, drowning in my own saliva. But yet, here I am, shrugging my shoulders.

Sure, I am happy that Slash and Axl have made peace with each other, but it feels like the guys are doing just fine on their own (even if the current GnR is in pieces). Besides, this feels more like a scream for money than a friendly get together. If you do not believe me, just look at the numbers.

Ever since Slash left Guns N' Roses, the band has lost an extreme amount of fans and credibility, much thanks to Axl's crazy persona of late appearances and bandannas. And if that was not enough, the much awaited "Chinese Democracy" was one of the biggest let downs of the century, not worth the 15 year wait. It just is not Guns N' Roses without the man in the top hat.

The band is confirmed to do two shows at the Coachella festival in California, and they are currently negotiating to do a full US tour, in which every show will give the band 3 million dollars. Who would turn down that offer? I would certainly make up with my worst enemy if someone dangled that many green pieces of paper at my face.

There is still no word whether Steven Adler or Izzy Stradlin will be joined for these shows, but I believe it would be the only right thing. If you are going to do a reunion, do it with the full cast.

The biggest question now however is what songs will be played on the shows. The classics, like "Welcome To The Jungle", "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "Civil War" are a no-brainer, but at least I am hoping that the fans get spoiled with the band playing "Appetite For Destruction" in its entirety. It is one of the best rock albums ever made, and is the sole reason to why the band got so big at all. I also hope that the band stay away from "Chinese Democracy" all together.

Finally, I hope that Axl gets his act together and delivers a couple of performances that are reminiscent of the good old days, in which he was skinny and roaring. I do not expect him to loose all those muscles he got over the years, but his voice must get back to its glory days. As it is now, it just suck.

No matter how the shows go, I am still praying to god that this is only a temporary reunion, but knowing how the reunions of System of A Down and At The Gates went, it will almost certainly lead to a trip to Europe (maybe even Japan and South America), then another, and another, and before we know it, they are together in the studio, cooking up a new album. If this even happens, I am sure everything will end in tears, Slash and Axl starts fighting again, and we will end up at square 1 again. I hope that the guys has enough common sense to realize this too, and that this tour will be the last for the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment