Friday, February 1, 2013

Damned Pilots - Spaced Out EP (2012)

Now I do not normally review EP's but if a band wants me to review it I am more than happy to do so. And if you are wondering why it is so it is because I feel that EP's is just an excuse for being lazy in the song creating process. I can understand that newcomers like Italian quartet Damned Pilots would release an EP so they can give a taste to future fans and record companies of what to come. But it is completely useless that a already famous and well established band would release an EP since they have the resources to release a full-length album, something that would make the fans much happier than a short EP. Sorry for going out of subject but I had to get it out of my system.

Anyhow, Damned Pilots comes from Italy and consists of Don Nutz on drums, Johnny Angel on guitar, Pino Space on bass and Ote on vocals and guitar. So how would I describe the bands sound? Well, they have a solid mix of doom and groove metal which reminds me a lot of The Sword, a band that I only liked sporadically. Damned Pilots first offering to the world is the 6 songs long EP "Spaced Out".

After a quick opener called "Believe Me Now" (originally made by Electric Light Orchestra), which only works as a complaining intro, Damned Pilots gives us "My Word", a groovy song that may not have extraordinary works on either of the instruments but is still a solid song that keeps my head rocking back and forth. It also has a calm but  good solo that works surprisingly well with the rest of the song. Also love the roughness on Ote's vocals this particular track. The following song, "Make My Day", is more melodic but still keeps a groovy rhythm that is keeping my interest where it should be. Unfortunately I feel that this song does not have enough strength to be one of the best on "Spaced Out" but it is certainly not the worst of the material. That award goes to the song that comes next, which is "Believin' In". It is the calmest song on the EP and sadly also the song that has the same effects as a sleeping pill. Whisperings, some acoustic guitars and slow motion mode on. I swear that I nodded of a couple of times when listening to this song.

After waking up from my nap time I get thrown in to the cover of the W.A.S.P song "Sleeping In The Fire" (that title fits more on the previous song). Compared to the original version I would say that the band did a great work here. Damned Pilots really made this song their own with a darker touch and the musicianship here is some of the best on the entire EP, especially the guitar solo. I definitely thinks that this version is worthy a small recognition but as always, you simply can not beat the original song. The EP ends with a more or less useless track called "The Masonic Rite of Ynnoc O". I mean what is the meaning with this song? It is only some simple guitar riffs and some strange background sound. I simply do not get it so I will just let it be.

I personally think that a band potential can only be evaluated correctly through a full-length album but after hearing "Spaced Out" I definitely thinks that Damned Pilots may be up for something interesting. There are not many established bands in this genre and if the band can keep it up on the song writing there is a chance that they could make it in the music industry. "Spaced Out" is a valid effort that could have been better without the sleeping pill and the useless outro but the potential is there and I for one is excited of seeing where this potential may end up.

Songs worthy of recognition: My Word, Sleeping In The Fire

Rating: 7/10 Masonic Rites

Bandcamp: http://damnedpilots.bandcamp.com/album/spaced-out
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Damned-Pilots/177425625676655
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/damnedpilots?feature=watch

No comments:

Post a Comment