Monday, February 11, 2013

Bullet For My Valentine - Temper Temper (2013)

I have followed Bullet For My Valentine since the start but I have never as low expectations as I had before the bands fourth full-length album "Temper Temper". After two great releases in "The Poison" and "Scream Aim Fire" came a complete ship wreck called "Fever" that made me loose almost all self respect for the band. Three years has gone since "Fever" and I have laid that chapter behind me now but the big question is if the band has done the same? Have they gone back to their heavy, catchy and easily liked music instead of creating more shameful shit songs?

"Temper Temper" is the bands fourth album and the title comes from the inner struggles the band has had in the time between this release and "Fever". But these struggles seems to have a good effect on the band since this album is a big step forward from "Fever". In "Temper Temper", Bullet For My Valentine is going back to their roots and then inserts a more aggressive approach in several of the tracks. Hell, we even hear a couple of screams from Matthew Tuck which is a segment I warmly welcome back. And it is on the more aggressive songs where the band is really shining. Songs like "Breaking Point", "Not Invincible" and "Saints & Sinners" takes me back down memory lane to a time where Bullet For My Valentine rocked and was nothing like any other band at the time.

Another track that is very noticeable is of course "Tears Don't Fall (Part 2)". Yes, your eyes are not deceiving you, the band has made a follow up to their most successful song in their carrier. Just like Metallica's "The unforgiven" series, "Tears Don't Fall (Part 2)" is very much alike the original but I feel that the similarities between the tracks is way too much. The song is not bad but it feels like a complete rip off from its predecessor which you off course cannot stop thinking about. Ruins the whole listening experience for you. But as previously stated, it is still a good song.

"Tears Don't Fall (Part 2)" is not the only song that reminds you of the good old days. "P.O.W" reminds me of  a mix between "All These Things I Hate (Revolve Around Me)" and a 30 Seconds To Mars song (note, 30 Seconds To Mars is only a band i liked in my early music listening carrier, I despise them now) and "Dirty Little Secret" is sounding like a metalized version of All-American Rejects song with the same name (another band I listened to in my youth but not anymore) and a speed up and more complex version of the intro riff in "Your Betrayal". Ah, those were the days.

There is, however, still some weaknesses that the band has not been able to erase since their last album. For instance, the title track could have been one of the best songs this year with its great riff and aggressive approach but the chorus is lame and has none of the intensity that the rest of the song has. And "Riot" is one of the most repetitive songs I have heard in many years (that chorus is just a big sign of laziness). Otherwise is the standard at a even and good height. There is no real song that I would throw in the dumpster but there is also no song that would be worthy of a throne of its own. The lack of a real super hit like "Tears Don't Fall", "4 Words (To Choke Upon)" and "Scream Aim Fire" is putting "Temper Temper" behind the two big albums but "Temper Temper" is without a doubt a step in the right direction.

Even though "Temper Temper" did not blow me away I am still relieved that the welsh men did not make the same mistake twice. But this album is rough around the edges and definitely not in the same class as "The Poison" or "Scream Aim Fire". But with some better choruses and a little more originality this album could have been one of my new favourites. So yeah, Bullet For My Valentine is here by back with new strength. Let us hope that this power will last a little longer than two consecutive albums.

Songs worthy of recognition: Breaking Point, Dirty Little Secret, Saints & Sinners

Rating: 6,5/10 Leeches

No comments:

Post a Comment