Man, this list has been a pain in the ass to compose. When I started on this list, I had just over 100 songs that I felt had a chance of making it. It has been though cutting those hundreds down to "only" 50 songs, but it is done. Here are my favourite songs from 2013.
50. Kataklysm - Elevate - Waiting For The End To Come
Nice melodic track that fits perfectly well in the album. Like that they changed the pace a couple of times.
49. Death Angel - Fallen - The Dream Calls For Blood
One of few great thrash songs from this year. The chorus definitely got the blood that the dream called for.
48. Lost Society - Lead Through The Head - Fast Loud Death
I have never experienced this much intensity in a crossover thrash band in many, many years. Simply put, it is metal up your ass.
47. Lingua Mortis Orchestra - Scapegoat - LMO
Even under another name, the guys from Rage still does their thing. But I have to admit that the orchestra brings an extra dimension to the music.
46. Korn - Prey For Me - The Paradigm Shift
This heavy and psychedelic track is something I want Korn to do more of, but I am just happy that there is no more dub-step in their music.
45. Amorphis - Shades of Gray - Circle
Great to hear that Amorphis has not left their death metal past completely, especially with these kinds of tracks where old and new comes together nicely.
44. Annihilator - No Way Out - Feast
I love it that Annihilator shows that good old thrash never dies. Reminds me of their excellent album "King of The Kill".
43. Queensrÿche - Where Dreams Go To Die - S/T
This old school Queensrÿche track is just one of many reasons why this version of Queensrÿche is superior to the Geoff Tate version. Like the dark touch of the song.
42. ReVamp - Wild Card - Wild Card
These are the kinds of songs that makes me fall in love with ReVamp and Floor Jansen. Great mix between the technical and the beautiful.
41. Alice In Chains - Stone - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
There is never a bad time for some good old grunge from the legends Alice In Chains. That riff has just the right amount of heaviness and groove to make it infectiously good.
40. Motörhead - Going To Mexico - Aftershock
Sickly good groove on this run away song, but isn't it a bit like "Ace of Spades"? Probably, but I do not care one bit.
39. Tarja - 500 Letters - Colours In The Dark
A beautiful tune that gives Tarja's stunning voice a chance to shine. Probably her best song since leaving Nightwish.
38. Serenity - Wings of Madness - War of Ages
The most beautiful symphonic duet this year is performed by Serenity. With a magnificent team work and a grand sound, "Wings of Madness" is an impressive force to be reckon with.
37. Gloomball - Blown Away And Gone - The Distance
Now this is some great, speedy hard rock. Reminds me of the 90's for some strange reason.
36. The Ocean - Bathyalpelagic II: The Wish In Dreams - Pelagial
The instruments on this song are just incredible, and the singer Loïc Rossetti impresses a lot. Sounds like a mix of Tool and Mastodon.
35. Finntroll - Ett Folk Förbannat - Blodsvept
There is few bands in the world that can play great folk metal like Finntroll. For some reason, some of the instrumental parts reminds me of the game "Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex", which makes me smile.
34. Helloween - Burning Sun - Straight Out of Hell
A song of astronomical proportions that gets your blood pumping with ease. One of the more powerful efforts by the Germans in a long time.
33. Five Finger Death Punch - Watch You Bleed - The Wrong Side of Heaven And The Righteous Side of Hell, Volume 1
This is how I want 5FDP to sound like. "Watch You Bleed" is angry, catchy and has a structure that is very hard to beat. The best song from two albums.
32. Avantasia - Black Orchid - The Mystery of Time
Great epic track that fits very well in the album. You cannot get more theatrical feelings from any other track than what you get from this one.
31. Anvil - Shut The Fuck Up - Hope In Hell
Lots of swears in this song, but the Canadians show a humour that cannot keep me from the floor, laughing my ass off. Great song despite the one dimensional tempo.
30. Amaranthe - Theory of Everything - The Nexus
This song has a lot of small, fine details. Great harmonies, catchiness, fine musical work and good forward momentum. Pop metal at its best.
29. Joe Satriani - The Weight of The World - Unstoppable Momentum
A smooth and soothing song by the virtuoso that shows once again who is the front runner in instrumental music. I also like the video game keyboards, which gives this song a personality.
28. Gwar - Bloodbath - Battle Maximus
This is bone cracking, head banging, gory metal music. In other words, it is a typical Gwar song.
27. Hell - Faith Will Fall - Curse & Chapter
Awesome heavy metal from the British guys. A good proof that they still can write great new material.
26. Deals Death - Facing The Echoes - Point Zero Solution
If I didn't know better, then I would say that Children of Bodom made this song. Absolutely love the guitar work here.
25. Sirenia - My Destiny Coming To Pass - Perils of The Deep Blue
This song has many dimentions to study. The doom quire, the beautiful chorus, the headbanging bridge and also an impressive heavy bit in the middle. A versataile track indeed.
24. Children of Bodom - Halo of Blood - Halo of Blood
The title track is one of the heaviest tracks the band has done in many years, which we of course love to hear. That constant blast beat is pure metal goodness.
23. Gloryhammer - Amulet of Justice - Tales From The Kingdom of Fire
The medieval theme may be somewhat boring, but this assault from Alestorm member Christopher Bowes's new band is anything but boring. Classic power metal at its best.
22. Black Sabbath - Loner - 13
A track that makes you think of the good old days, when Black Sabbath was the rulers of earth. Classic Black Sabbath magic that we all know and love.
21. The Resistance - "I Bend - You Break" - Scars
Jesper Strömblad's new band brings a groovy heaviness that is hard to resist, and "I Bend - You Break" is just a marvelous mosh monster that gets your head going in full speed.
20. Alter Bridge - Peace Is Broken - Fortress
It feels good to know that Alter Bridge has gone to the heavier side, and this song was just one of many high quality songs from "Fortress". Great riffs and chorus.
19. James LaBrie - Undertow - Impermanent Resonance
This heavy, modern side of James LaBrie is surprisingly good, even if the synths takes a little too much of the show. And I honestly think that James's voice is more suited for this sort of music.
18. White Wizzard - Strike The Iron - The Devil's Cut
The constant member changes kills the band, but that does not take away the fact that "Strike The Iron" is hell of a roller coaster ride. A big positive surprise, just like the rest of the album.
17. Amon Amarth - Deceiver of The Gods - Deceiver of The Gods
This song is nothing new for fans of Amon Amarth, but it is still their typical mix of death metal and fine musicality that makes it as good as it is. This is probably Loki's and Tom Hiddleston's favorite song.
16. Black Veil Brides - In The End - Wretched And Divine: The Story of The Wild Ones
Only song with balls on their latest record. If it wasn't for the make-up, I would actually endure this band.
15. Rivera/Bomma - In Blood - Infinite Journey of Soul
Christian metal band that surprises with a strong and heavy song with a ultra epic chorus. Jesus's favourite metal song from 2013.
14. Clutch - Unto The Breach - Earth Rocker
This is without a doubt the grooviest track from 2013. Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-magnificent musicianship.
13. Leprous - Chronic - Coal
This song has a lot of progressive goodness. Technical playing, powerful singing, and a chorus that gives you goose bumps. I do not even care about the long outro.
12. Drowning Pool - One Finger And A Fist - Resilience
A power package that shoves its finger and fist so far in your skull that you need brain surgery to fully recover. Not to shabby for a "one hit wonder".
11. The Dillinger Escape Plan - One of Us Is The Killer - One of Us Is The Killer
Surprisingly soothing jazz music from the excellent (and sometimes insane) mathcore quartet. Would definitely not mind if they would create more music like this.
10. Soilwork - Parasite Blues - The Living Infinite
Heavy ass blues that is a blast to listen too. Just everything with this song is so freaking amazing. Soilwork really knocked this one out of the park.
9. Holy Grail - Ride The Void - Ride The Void
Great guitars, awesome singing, nice groove, what more could you ask for. Holy Grail show a potential that they have not shown since their EP "Improper Burial".
8. Gama Bomb - Terrorscope - The Terror Tapes
This is how crossover thrash should sound like. Fast, heavy and funny. And who can forget that bitching solo. This song is deadlier than an A-bomb.
7. Stone Sour - Do Me A Favor - House of Gold & Bones Part 2
Powerful and angry song that shows all the good sides of the band. Clearly the best song from both "House of Gold & Bones" albums.
6. Stratovarius - Unbreakable - Nemesis
Awesome modern power metal song from the Finnish band. Probably their best song during the new era. Still love that "falling rain" part.
5. Mean Streak - We Are One - Trial By Fire
If anyone asks you what power metal is, play this song. It can't get more power metal than this smashing track from the Swede's third album.
4. Within Temptation Feat. Tarja Turunen - Paradise (What About Us?)
A dream duet from Sharon Den Adel and Tarja Turunen that should make every symphonic metal fan extremely happy. A great teasing before Within Temptation's coming album "Hydra".
3. Ghost - Year Zero - Infestissumam
Never have a song about the devil been so epic and so infectiously good that it almost made me convert into Ghost's beliefs. The ultimate sermon for the fans of these masked rocker.
2. Dream Theater - The Enemy Inside - S/T
A heavier version of "On The Backs of Angels" that kicks a lot of ass. A clear star in an otherwise not so extra ordinary album.
1. Keldian - Never Existed - Outbound
Epic and powerful song about a man's inner struggle to get through with the lie he calls life. The song is so moving and I could not help but to sing-a-long with the chorus after only one listen. If you do not get pumped when you here this song, then there is something wrong with you.
Other enjoyable tracks: Volbeat Feat. King Diamond - Room 24, Scar The Martyr - Mind's Eye, Hammerforce - Mass Media, Carcass - Mount of Execution, Killswitch Engage - The Call
So, which track is your favourite from 2013? Let me know in the comment section below.